Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanksgiving

I went to the Epilepsy Walk at the Rose Bowl this past Sunday.  It didn’t turn out as I expected, but the day ended up well.  I truly realized how lucky I am to have such caring and understanding friends.  It was around 10 am when my friends and I were standing
and talking.  The weather was getting warm, close to 80 degrees.  Before I knew it, I was on the ground, my friends looking down at me, asking if I was all right.  Oh no!  I had a seizure!  The paramedics were there, taking my vital signs.  I was thinking, “They better not take me to the emergency room!”  Fortunately, I answered their litmus test questions, “what’s your name, when’s your birthday, where are you?”  I was also incredibly not hurt, although I did hit my head.  I was wearing a baseball cap, which probably helped. 

Among my seizure triggers are lack of sleep, too much excitement, and heat.  I think a combination of the three was at play here.  Although I tried to sleep well the night before the Walk, it was difficult.  I also did not realize how much the heat really affects me until recently. 


We ended up not staying at the Walk, but going to Coco’s for lunch, in an air-conditioned building.  It was nice and intimate, and we were able to enjoy ourselves in comfort.  At the time, of course, I felt very guilty for causing all the trouble, and I still do somewhat.  However, my friends are all so understanding because they know what it’s like.  Epilepsy is what brought us all together.  We are all fighting this disorder, and supporting each other keeps us strong.

So, during this Thanksgiving weekend, I have much to be thankful for, the main thing being that I did not injure myself.  I am extremely grateful for my friends and family who love and support me unconditionally.  And although my seizures are not under control, I am thankful to my doctor and the medical support staff for helping me through all my challenges.

I also appreciate the work researchers are doing to find a cure for epilepsy.  However, funding needs to be drastically increased to speed up this process.   Only then will we make real progress.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog, Soo! Congrats on doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I really appreciate it! Please let me know if there are any issues you would like me to address in the future.

      Delete