Sunday, January 18, 2015

VNS Update

It has been two months since my VNS surgery and six weeks since the device was turned on.  During that six weeks, the stimulation rate was seven seconds for every ten minutes.  That meant that an electrical pulse was sent from the device in my chest up through the vagus nerve in my neck to my brain for 7 seconds.  Then 10 minutes later, another pulse was sent.  This happened every 10 minutes. 

I had my second follow up appointment with my doctor this past Friday and he ramped up the stimulation rate.  Now, I am on 30 seconds for every 5 minutes. When the stimulations come on, I usually feel a small lump in my throat and have to swallow. Sometimes though (when I am eating), I am more sensitive and cough. Overall, it is not too bad.  I have gotten used to the stimulations and they don’t bother me as much as they used to.

I will now have to wait and see how effective it is.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Melissa! Now it's just a waiting game. I'm optimistic, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you while you play the waiting game, Soo.
      It's me, Cathy, but I'm still learning how to work the website.

      Delete