Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Thanksgiving Thoughts

I hope you all had a very Happy Thanksgiving!  I had a quiet but special weekend with family, with the traditional trimmings, but instead of turkey, we had ham.  Asparagus, mashed sweet potatoes, carrots, and broccoli. 

Although the election did not turn out as I wanted it to, I can’t go on moping.  It is true I am apprehensive about what will come next, especially when it comes to health care.  That just means we will just have to advocate more for our rights.

I have much to be thankful for.  Personally, although my seizures are not under control, I can still do many things in life.  I have supportive family and friends, which mean a lot to me. Also, I personally don’t feel like I’ve been the target of too much discrimination.

However, I do know some people who have been discriminated against for various reasons.  I came across this story about a mother and her young son with Dravet syndrome traveling by plane during Thanksgiving.  It is one of the saddest stories about how misunderstood the needs of families with epilepsy are.

Let this be a lesson to other airlines to treat people with service animals with respect.



No comments:

Post a Comment