Friday, November 17, 2017

Epilepsy Blog Relay—Thoughts on CBD (Medical Marijuana)



This post is part of the Epilepsy Blogger Relay™ which will run from November 1st through November 30th.

I am a difficult epilepsy patient. My seizures are not under control. I am thankful that I do not have tonic clonic (grand mal) seizures, and that usually they are short and not too bothersome. However, once in a while, I do get complex partial seizures and lose consciousness. These are the ones that irritate me the most.

I have tried a whole number of cocktails of medications—you name it, I’ve probably taken it, or am taking it (or some relative to it). Currently, I am on four antiepileptic drugs. I have also tried acupuncture and have the vagus nerve stimulator (VNS). Still, none of these completely controls my seizures. But I know for a fact that if I didn’t take these medications, my life would be a whole lot worse.

Now, I am trying CBD, cannabidiol, one form of medical marijuana. I never thought in my entire life that I would be taking CBD. I thought it was just for Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, both found in children only. Also, the lack of research on CBD made me very wary of considering it. The fact that marijuana is still considered a Schedule 1 substance is very frustrating to the epilepsy community, and the medical community at-large, because that means that there are strict restrictions on how much and in what types of circumstances research can be done.

Many doctors are reluctant to suggest CBD as a treatment option to their patients because of the unknown factors, especially because of the lack of empirical data. In particular, there has been a lack of double-blind studies.  Additionally, we don’t know all the long-term effects of CBD. Some side effects we do know of are similar to antiepileptic drugs—sleepiness, diarrhea, light-headedness, dizziness, changes in appetite/weight, dry mouth, low blood pressure.

Over time, my opinion of CBD as a treatment has changed. I used to think that since we didn’t know enough about it, it was off limits. It works much differently from medications. However, there is much we don’t know about medications either. Also, although drugs go through rigorous testing, there are still the side effects that exist. And are those side effects any better or worse than those of CBD? Who is to say? Also, if the CBD will possibly help the seizures, why not try it?

So, here I am, almost two months on CBD. So far, I haven’t seen any change but perhaps it will take more time and adjusting of the dosage. Or, on the other hand, this may not work out for me. In any case, I will have been open to and tried another option.

References


NEXT UP: Be sure to check out the next post tomorrow by Irene Farsatis at https://livingwellwithepilepsy.com. For the full schedule of bloggers visit https://livingwellwithepilepsy.com.

TWITTER CHAT: And don’t miss your chance to connect with bloggers on the #LivingWellChat on November 30 at 7PM ET.


2 comments:

  1. Hello there! My doctor recommends me to consume some CBD pills to resolve my anxiety issues. What do you say? Is it safe for people? I think that yes and I wanted to ask your advice. Probably, you can recommend some pills brands for me. I live in US, btw. Thanks for help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      Thanks for your question. The best advice I can give you is to find out all the information you can on it and ultimately, the decision is yours. No one should pressure you to try or not to try CBD. I am most familiar with the research done with CBD and epilepsy and don't know much about anxiety. I'll do some digging and see what I can find. I recommend you do the same. Good luck on your decision!

      Delete