Thursday, March 26, 2015

Women and Epilepsy—Catamenial Seizures

I have procrastinated in writing about this particular topic.  Epilepsy in women—specifically, catamenial seizures.  It was one of the topics of interest at the “Talk to the Docs” seminar which I reported on earlier.  However, I did not write anything more in-depth afterwards.

Until now.

It had been on my mind since the end of February.  March is Women’s History Month and I knew I had to write something about women and epilepsy before the month slipped away. 

Catamenial seizures are seizures that occur around the time of a woman’s menstrual cycle.  About 31-60% of women with epilepsy have catamenial seizures.  Unfortunately, I am one of those. 

It is based on hormonal imbalances.  Estrogen excites seizure activity and progesterone inhibits it.  Therefore, when estrogen levels spike at the beginning of the period, seizures will increase.  Also, during the midpoint at ovulation and at the end when the body is realigning itself, seizures will come more frequently.  I experience all three stages, and it is one of the worst things I have to deal with every month.

There are treatments to combat catamenial seizures.  One method is, around the time of your period, to increase the dosage of the medication you are already taking.  This can be tricky because you have to keep an accurate record of your cycle to predict when the next one will be.  That may not always work because some irregularity may occur.

Next, you have to determine which medication(s) to increase and by how much to get the maximum effect.  You also need to take into consideration any side effects that may result, and if they will cause more problems than they will solve.

There are medications specifically targeted for catamenial seizures, including clobazam, Diamox, and clonazepam.  Acetazolamide (Diamox) is often used during the time of the menstrual cycle.  It cannot be used regularly like most anticonvulsants because patients will develop a tolerance to it and the medication will become less effective.  It is unknown how effective these medications are in general, but they are what we have now, and more research is continually being done.  In fact, there is a clobazam study going on at the University of California, Irvine Epilepsy Center, conducted by Dr. Mona Sazgar.

Aside from medications, there are contraceptives and hormonal therapies.  I have tried birth control pills, both the one-month and three-month versions.  The one-month version did a very good job at regulating my cycles, but I still had them.  Therefore, I still had seizures every month.  I had a bad reaction to the three-month version; I bled erratically, causing more intense seizures, and had to stop right away.

Since then, I had been sure of what to do.  I had heard good things about the Depo-provera shot, an injection that stops menstruation for three months.  At the end of February, I got it because I felt I had nothing to lose.  I hope it will help me going forward.  So far, I have not had any bad side effects, although March was like a “phantom” month.  During the time I would have had my menstrual cycle, I had an increase in seizures.

There is much more research to be done on catamenial epilepsy.  Until then, we will be navigating our way through this maze.  The important thing is to have a good epileptologist and OB/GYN to work with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment